Meet a young golf champion from Tricity, Sohraab Singh Talwar, a class 3 student at the Strawberry Fields High School, who is bringing laurels and glory through an array of junior golf tournaments in the region.
“One should always dare to do something different. Chase your dreams for they hold the key to a happy life because only when we do things from our heart and soul, we can be happy in the true sense of the word,” this young prodigy firmly believes.
In an exclusive interview with Sohraab, we explore his humble beginnings as a golf player, his source of inspiration, his go-to places in Tricity, and a lot more. Happy reading!
Tell us a little bit about yourself and your journey as a player?
I am Sohraab Singh Talwar, a class 3 student at Strawberry Fields High School, Sector 26 and a golf player. I started playing golf at the age of 5. My elder brother used to play Golf at the Mohali Golf Range and I started accompanying him, owing to which my interest developed in the game gradually.
I started playing tournaments in my age category. The high of winning a tournament ignited my interest more in the game.
The journey has not been very easy so far, and I know that it will be tougher as the competition grows in the higher categories, but I am training myself to step up on the ladder of success.
I’ve played a lot of Golf on hot summer and cold winter days. My father has always pushed me to give my best to the game, irrespective of the results. He has been my coach and mentor as of now.
Who has been your source of inspiration all this while and why?
Tiger Woods is my all-time inspiration and I aspire to touch the zeniths of success in golf like him one day. I feel inspired by him because he has struggled a lot to reach where he is. His journey as a golf player is very inspiring.
Tell us about some awards and accolades in your kitty?
– I have been actively playing Golf since 2018 and have more than 40 wins to my name.
– I started playing in Category F (Under 7) and have now moved to Category D (9-10 years), though I am still 8 years of age. My recent achievements are as follows:
– I have played a full tour of North Zone IGU (Indian Golf Union) Sub-Junior & Junior Feeder Tour 2021 and was ranked 2nd in my category. I lost in the Playoff as I was tied 1st after completing my rounds.
– I came 1st in the Qualifier tournament for FCG Callaway World Championship to be held in California USA in July.
– In 2022, I started playing in Category D though I am still Under 9 years. I have played event 1 of the IGU 2022 feeder tour in Noida. I was tied 1st after my 2 rounds but lost in the playoffs and came third.
– I have played in the Shubhankar Sharma Invitational tournament held on the 10th of April in Kepta Ambala and came third in Category D.
– I have played Event 2 of IGU Feeder tour 2022 and came 4th in Category D. Again, I lost by 1 stroke for the third position.
– Prior to this, in 2021, I have won several tournaments which included tournaments held by Greens to Glory, Albatross, The Tee Box and many more.
When you are not found playing, what are you usually involved in?
Besides my school and golf, I love to swim and spend time in my physical fitness classes which are a must for me to keep my body fit as a fiddle and also keep my energy levels high.
Besides that, I love to watch interesting videos on YouTube and engage myself in some online games. I love Fortnite, Roblox and Minecraft. I also love to play badminton.
Tell us about some of your go-to places in the Tricity?
In Tricity, I love to visit Elante mall during the weekends, boating at Sukhna Lake, my annual visit to the Rock Garden and the Chhatbir zoo. I also love going to Sector 17 for my shopping and eating the famous softy that we get there. I am also looking forward to visiting Chandigarh Bird Park soon.
One final message for our readers?
My message to the readers will be that one should always dare to do something different. Chase your dreams for they hold the key to a happy life because only when we do things from our heart and soul, we can be happy in the true sense of the word. Don’t shy away from working hard to achieve your goals and give them your 100 percent.